Monday, July 20, 2009

Blackest Night #1


I haven't been that interested in DC but Blackest Night got me curious. The curiosity paid off! What Geoff Johns has done over the past few years for DC was amazing. He's carrying a lot of load together with Grant Morrison.

Back then I was asking my brother why Green Lantern? Seriously? What's so great about GL?

He said it started with Rebirth for him...

What got me interested was the fact that other Lanterns appeared out of nowhere! Plus the fact that a Blue Lantern existed was awesome!

Ok, so going to the 1st issue of Blackest Night. Johns is setting it up. You see the characters that will get involved in the event. I know that people will die and people who died will come back to life as a Black Lantern. But I didn't know who. So suspense was present in almost every page.

Points that got me hooked.

1. Bruce Wayne's skull was stolen and it is now being used as a "Lantern". I think it charges the Black Lantern rings.

2. The dead coming back to life.

3. The Atom is back! Plus there was this line that was genius! "She made The Atom feel small"

4. The DCU is in deep deep shit.

Johns will tackle the concept of death in comics. I think it's something that needs to be addressed. I mean, why do dead people come back? Why don't they stay dead in the comics?

Ivan Reis drew the shit out of this issue. Props to him. I wanted Ethan to do it but Ivan did such a great job with issue 1. I underestimated him. He drew some pretty scary scenes. I can't wait for #2.

It's pretty cool. The issue actually comes with a Black Lantern ring. Hahahaha.

So will the Green Lantern Corps' oath still work?

"In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let all those who worship evil's might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT!"

My theory here is that the Blue Lanterns will play a huge role. Since their emotion is hope plus it compliments the willpower of the Green Lanterns... We'll see...

But I do hope that Batman becomes a Black Lantern... I really hope so...

No comments: