Monday, November 14, 2011

Giving in to Amazon's Kindle


Ok ok. So I gave in. I wanted to see what it was like to read on a Kindle. During my recent trip to Switzerland, I didn't want to carry a heavy hardbound on my handcarry so I decided to get a Kindle. I got the Kindle Keyboard and I got it on eBay.ph :) I have to say that it's pretty cool. But don't get me wrong. Reading on a real book is cool also.

I have an existing Amazon account so I get charged through credit card. It's pretty easy to use too!

OK now for my review.

PROS

The Kindle is very light. It's easier to carry than an iPad. Reading the text is very gentle to the eyes as well. Plus there's no glare. Using the Kindle Store is also very user friendly and downloading a book is really fast. Less than 60 seconds! Battery life is amazing as well. It can go up to a month! It can fit in your back pocket so you can practically take it where ever you want to take it. I say that it's perfect for traveling! 

CONS

I got the one with special offers and I find the offers rather annoying for one reason. When you put the Kindle to sleep, you can't change the wallpaper. You'll have to hack a code and you'll lose the warranty that comes along with it. The other thing is that a lot of the books I wanted to get weren't available in the Kindle Store. Apparently not all books are available in all territories which sucks a lot. 

For the verdict, the Kindle is a cool gadget to have if you love to read and travel. I didn't check if the books I wanted were available so make sure the books you want are available. At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to own a Kindle. It's also still cool to go to the book store and look for the book that you want :)

1 comment:

terrigirl said...

Be careful lang ha, screen's really fragile. My nephew tapped my screen...and the LCD broke (so now there's a big lightning-shaped line across it)...hay. :P