Monday, January 11, 2010

Martial Law Babies


I don't know why I haven't talked about this but after the Rock Ed Radio episode last week, I feel that this should be talked about. Arnold Arre's "Martial Law Babies" is about these group of children growing up during the Martial Law era and how they are now living in the present.

I'm not a Martial Law baby but I heard so many stories of Martial Law growing up. What sucked was cartoons were removed during that time. Voltes V was removed from the television sets and I think that it was the only decent cartoon at that time. Steve and the Armstrong brothers were not present! I remember my Grade 4 teacher telling me that he grew up hating the dictator since he removed Voltes V and it was Lola who brought cartoons back.

Arnold Arre did an excellent job with character development. It mainly focuses on  two people, Allan and Rebecca. You see them growing up and facing problems on school, work, barkada issues, leaving the country, deaths, etc. I think Arnold Arre passionately did this graphic novel. The ending was just brilliant. It makes you think. It depends on the reader on how to interpret it. I thought of it before going to sleep actually. He was a genius! It was just a shame he couldn't make it to Rock Ed the next day. I wanted to have the book signed.

What I picked up from the book was Filipinos leaving the country for better opportunities. You have all types of Pinoys but now I want to mention those super patriotic/nationalistic but live abroad. I think that it's unfair for the Pinoys living abroad. You know they want to do their part but they can't. They  found a better life there and I can't blame them. You have people living here and there's just no sense of nationalism or patriotism. It's sad. I think that it's time for us to dream again. We Filipinos need to dream and I mean dream BIG. We have to reach for it. Dreams make us motivated and inspired. It's looking towards something. Hopefully it's a bright future. We need to dream again guys. If you're reading this, don't let go. Pain is temporary, Quitting is forever. Don't give up and live your dreams.

Try and buy a copy of this book. If you were born in the 80's like me, you'll appreciate it. If you were born after 71, you'll definitely relate to this. If you were born in the 90's... Hmmm... It may be too heavy for you but it's still a great read. This sells for Php 500. You can get it in Fully Booked. (Filipiniana Section) or at SPUTNIK! I don't know if Druid's Keep or Comic Odyssey carries it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Arre's "After Eden" is still my personal favorite, but "Martial Law Babies' was a good read nonetheless.

What I love about this graphic novel is that it really makes you think afterwards about hopes and regrets, and the past, the present, and the future. It's pretty heavy but worth it.

raissa said...

Hello Jiggy! I will admit I only got to read your blog when your Lola passed away but I have been a regular reader since.

I dont know if I classify myself as a Martial Law baby. Sure I was born in the late 70's but I wasn't fully aware yet of what was going on during that time. My full awareness came during the People Power Resolution.

But I am going off course. I am one of those who have left the country. Thank you so much for pointing out that we may not be physically in the country but it doesn't mean we do not care of what is going on. I have been at the receiving end of the whole "you wouldnt know coz you're not here" spiel and sure it stings and maybe there is some truth to it but I cannot deny and will not deny that no matter what happens back in the Philippines, we do care and we are affected as well but we just can't do anything about it. Or maybe we can, we just don't know how.

So Thank You for pointing it out.

? said...

I think that it's unfair for the Pinoys living abroad. You know they want to do their part but they can't. They found a better life there and I can't blame them. --> I agree! and can very much relate... nice one, Jiggy. xo

Anonymous said...

..i think that's a very nice book to read po. Even those na were not born during that era, still, can relate to what inspiration it brings.
..thanks po for sharing ^^,).

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing..."Don't let go. Pain is temporary, Quitting is forever. Don't give up and live your dreams." <3
It's so hard but sacrifice is needed for the future of your children by being away from them for some time :(
God bless!