Thursday, March 19, 2009

Influential Comics Part 2

Since I'm not doing anything, might as well give the second part.

Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen was done in a prestige format. 4 parts and it was THE best Superman story for me. It doesn't happen in the regular DC Universe. It's not even THE Clark Kent or Kal-El. It's about a guy named Clark Kent who gets teased in the real world since he's named after Superman. One day, he gets the powers of Superman. Holy Crap. What a story!!! Check this out. This was the book that made my brother a convert.

Blankets by Craig Thompson. This was a THICK book but I absolutely loved every page. It's a love story. An autobiography. For those whoever lost a girl... For those who have a "the one who got away". You'll relate to this... Fo' Sho'!

Spider-Man: Blue by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale - Ok, I know that not many would put this on a list but this tells the love story of Peter and Gwen. I love comics + love stories. Makes things more real. Peter lost the love of his life because of Norman Osborn. But this doesn't show the death. In fact, it ends during the time Peter and Gwen gave themselves to one another. "That was the night when you had all of me Gwen Stacy" - something like that. I don't remember the exact words! I liked how Peter was talking to a recorder. He was talking to Gwen...

Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman. Best arc among the Sandman stories in my humble opinion. Lucifer Morningstar decides that he doesn't want to run hell anymore. Who gets the key to hell? Dream gets it. Many fight for it. Many want to takeover hell. Oh yeah, Dream once sent his girlfriend to hell. He got guilty. Wants to save her soul. Awesome awesome story.


That's it for now. I have one more set to complete the influential comics of my comic life :)

No comments: