Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Influential Comics Part 1

I started reading comics when I was a kid. Probably around 7 years old.

I used to read a lot of Pupung, Pugad Baboy, Tintin, Asterix, Calvin and Hobbes, Beetle Bailey, Hagar the Horrible, and the Archie Digests. Basically the books you can get in National.

But I loved the Superheroes from the Cartoons. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends was my favorite along with Super Friends. Spidey was THE superhero for me ever since.

When I reached my pre-teen days, I noticed an older cousin reading a lot of comics.

So I started going to Filbar's and bought comics.

It's just a shame that I entered shortly before the Spider-Man clone saga thing. That was the mid 90's I believe. I also read a lot of the Image ones like Spawn and WildC.A.T.S

DC... not really got into them. Marvel just rocked my imagination.

After that, stories weren't as good. I had a lull in the comic book life. I stopped.

In 2003, one of my teachers in High School got me back into comics. How?

Ultimate Spider-Man.

It was continuity free!!!

What was the issue that changed everything? Ultimate Spider-Man #13.

The rest was history.

Anyway, here's what I believe gave a lot of meaning into reading comics.

Ultimate Spider-Man - Brian Michael Bendis gave a whole new meaning to ULTIMATE. It was Spider-Man in the modern age. The every man comes into the new millennium.

Daredevil (Hardcore) - Again, another Bendis book. He and Alex Maleev just gave the most outstanding run of Daredevil in my opinion. Matt Murdock is just the superhero who gets his life all f'd up. No hero deserves that. But the story is just too damn interesting. Hardcore was the best arc!!! "These are the rules of Hell's Kitchen!!!" - awesome!!!

Y: The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughan is the writer who just passionately does his job. He does an amazing job!!! Probably the masterpiece of the new age. I've lent this book to a lot of people and it never fails. Girls absolutely cannot put this book down! If you haven't read this, SHAME ON YOU.

STONE - Whilce Portacio gave hope to a lot of Filipino Writers and Artists. Avalon Studios made me wish to set up my own comic book publishing house. Though I haven't done it yet, STONE was influential because it had a lot of Filipino culture in the book. I was just so damn proud of this book.

Ok, I'll stop here first. I always wanted to have parts of a story. I shall write more about the comics that influenced me soon. In a few days. I'll just let this stand by.

Feel free to comment :)

No comments: